Top Reasons Why Shoppers Abandon Their Carts [Infographic]
As part of developing our own abandoned cart email program, I've been researching examples from other retailers — looking both at the copy of the emails and their overall design.
This work has also led me to further review the causes of shopping cart abandonment and how I can reduce it on my own sites. I thought this infographic from Milo provides a good overview of the root causes:
Click to view a larger version of the infographic.
Key Facts and Takeaways
67% of shopping carts are abandoned right before the transaction is completed.
Why shoppers abandon their carts:
- 57% = Window shopping / not ready to purchase
- 56% = Saving items for later
- 55% = Shipping cost was too much
- 51% = Cart did not qualify for free shipping
- 40% = Shipping costs were listed too late
Lack of or long delivery times caused shoppers to abandon their carts:
- 38% = 8 days or more
- 24% = No delivery date
- 16% = 6-7 days
- 15% = 4-5 days
- 8% = 3 days or less
Options that encourage shoppers to check out:
- 73% = Free shipping
- 60% = Estimated or guaranteed shipping date
- 56% = Variety of payment options
- 50% = Ability to save purchasing preferences
- 47% = View order history
- 38% = Expedited shipping options
- 32% = Other product recommendations
Posted on: July 7, 2013 |
Recent Entries in "Ecommerce"
Comments are closed for this entry.