July 23, 2014
What Influences on Ecommerce Consumer Checkout Behavior? [Infographic]
This infographic from MarketingProfs offers an in-depth look into the most important factors that influence whether a customer will check out or abandon their cart when shopping online.
- After waiting 3 seconds, 57% of online consumers will abandon a site.
- 80% of these consumers will never return.
- 92.6% of people said that visuals are the top influential factor affecting a purchase decision.
- Products are assessed within 90 seconds and a quick initial judgment is made whether to purchase or not.
Product images and videos:
- Offering multiple product views and other alternative images led to 58% more web sales.
- It's important to have accurate product images – 25% cited 'product was not what I was expecting' as main reason for return.
- 31% bought the product after being influenced by the video.
- 1 in 2 customers have more confidence in a product after watching an online video.
Attitude towards online product videos according to US internet users (2011 and 2012):
- More confident when I watch a product video in advance of making a purchase online and therefore less likely to return that product (2012 = 57%; 2011 = 52%)
- Willing to stay on a website longer becuase the retailer makes product videos available to me (2012 = 52%; 2011 = 45%)
- More likely to return to a retailer who integrates videos into their website experience (2012 = 45%; 2011 = 41%)
- Purchase more products on websites that allow me to learn about products on video (2012 = 44%; 2011 = 37%)
- 85% of consumers read online reviews for local businesses before making a purchase.
- Of those, 79% trust the reviews as much as a personal recommendation.
- 67% of consumers read 6 reviews or less before they feel they can trust a business enough to make a purchase.
- Average checkout abandonment rate = 67.4% (average of 22 different studies).
Why do shoppers abandon (based on poll of 1,200 online users):
- 41% = hidden charges at the checkout
- 29% = having to register before buying
- 11% = unclear delivery details
- 10% = lengthy checkout process
- 8% = phone number not provided on website
- 1% = other
- 5.08 steps is the average length of a checkout process among the top 100 ecommerce sites.
- Ecommerce checkouts should have no more than 5 steps.
- 50% of ecommerce websites will ask for the same information twice.
Who abandons their cart:
- Men are more likely to abandon their cart.
- 42% of customers are 'vague' consumers – those that need more information (from reviews, etc).
- 42% are 'cost conscious' who want to shop around for better prices.
- 16% are 'window shoppers' who have no intention of making a purchase and are just looking.
- 81% of online retailers assume their newsletter is a must have (i.e. box is pre-checked).
- 40% of consumers do not want to receive newsletters which is why many hate signing up for an account.
- 32% of online retailers will not inform their consumers they are automatically being added to the newsletter subscription.
Coupons and Deals
- In 2014, more than half of US adult internet users will redeem a digital coupon via any device for either online or offline shopping.
- 57% who used a coupon said that if they had not received the discount, they would not have purchased.
- Coupons can increase customer satisfaction by 4%.
- 59% of consumers say they consider shipping costs when making online purchasing decisions.
- 44% abandon their cart due to high shipping costs.
- 53% say that low-cost shipping is a reason to switch online retailers.
- 24% say that same-day delivery is important. 76% say it is not important.
Payment and Security
- More than 80% of consumers feel safer seeing trustworthy card logos prominently displayed within an online store.
- 40% of consumers would have more confidence in an online shop that offered more than one payment method.
- Most popular payment gateways are PayPal (#1), Authorize.net (#2), USA ePay (#3).
- PayPal processes 60% of total web transactions.
Posted on: July 23, 2014 |
Recent Entries in "Ecommerce"