I’m not a huge fan of web awards programs, largely because you typically have to pay to be considered and so the pool of contenders is somewhat self-selected.
That being said, the IMA is a fairly well established awards program that attracts some good entries. They recently put out their list of the top 10 websites of 2009, along with a bunch of nominees.
Here’s the list of winners:
- Madagascar: Escape 2 Africa Video Game
- New York Life — Guarantees Matter
- Mohawk Fine Papers
- Landing — Stories from the Cultural Divide
- Electronic Arts
- Hong Kong Heritage Project
- TONY HAWK: RIDE
- Mercedes-Benz USA E-Class
It’s something of a mixed bag, but worth checking out.
Personally, I’m a big fan of the EA website, which combines visual design, information architecture and functionality/interactivity to great effect.