This article from the Nielsen Norman Group on supporting user decision making in the ecommerce shopping cart has four useful tips for helping shoppers get to the check out stage.
- Provide access to a full shopping cart
- Display product details along with a clear product image
- Link users to the product page from products in the cart
- Let users easily remove items, including setting quantity to zero
This article ties in nicely with an earlier one, which covered 3 ecommerce design trends to follow and 3 to avoid.
Design Trends to Follow
- Bigger product images
- Better product reviews
- Easy to use coupons and discounts
Design Trends to Avoid
- Smaller and hidden product descriptions
- Insufficient feedback when adding items to the shopping cart
- Cluttered customer service pages